Sunday, April 13, 2008

RUPE- A Cabled Unisex Scarf Pattern for Man or a Woman


This is a Cabled Scarf for a Man or a Woman. It was made as a 40th birthday gift for my friend Rupert. I tried a number of patterns, finally coming up with this, which has a stitch count of 40 and worked out to be the width I was looking for on size 9 needles.

After a couple of repeats you may not need to look at the pattern anymore. Once you're more comfortable, you'll see that on the wrong side, you're just knitting your knit stitches and purling the purls.

There is no gauge here, my finished scarf is about 6" wide and 6' long, and you can make it as long or short as you want, depending on taste and how much yarn you have available.

approx. 400 yards heavy worsted yarn
Size 9 Needles
Cable Needle

CO 40 Stitches

Row 1 (RS) - k5, p2, k2, p2, k18, p2, k2, p2, k5

Row 2 (and all WS) – p5, k2, p2, k2, p18, k2, p2, k2, p5

Row 3 – K1, C4F, p2, RT, p2, [k3, (C6F 2x), k3], p2, RT, p2, C4B, K1

Row 5 – k5 ,p2, k2, p2, k18, p2, k2, p2, k5

R7 – K1, C4F, p2, RT, p2, (C6B 3x), p2, RT, p2, C4B, K1

R8- rep 2


Repeat these 8 rows for pattern
Knit to desired length and bind off


Glossary

C4F- Place two stitches on cable needle and hold in front of work. Knit two st, then knit the 2 st from the cable needle

C4B- Place two stitches on cable needle and hold in back of work. Knit two st, then knit the 2 st from the cable needle

RT- Knit two stitches together,keeping the stitches on the left needle, then knit into the first stitch again, then remove both stitches from needle

C6F- Place three stitches on cable needle and hold at the front of work. K3 then K3 st from cable needle

C6B- Place three st on cable needle and hold at back of work. K3, then K3 st from cable needle




23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fantastic! I'm sure he'll just love it!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fucking Brilliant! Now you must link to it on Ravelry so it can be assimilated.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo, will this be your first pattern to go up on Ravelry? I'd love to have a Knittibell pattern in my queue? ;-)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I think I've linked it up in Ravelry! :) My first pattern, I'm so proud. Now, watch, it's probably already out there someplace and I went through all the tearing my hair out and frogging and re-frogging, and frogging again for nothing! :)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Yayyyy! =D Must queue this on Ravelry! =D

6:03 PM  
Blogger dancingnic said...

It's lovely annie!

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Beautiful. And thanks so much for sharing the pattern! Agree that I want some knittibell in my Ravelry queue, too!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern! I am definitely making this.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Love it! Will buy yarn and make one asap! It's gorgeous!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Windyridge said...

This is gorgeous! I added it to my queue

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my...I am in heaven with how this is turning out...co-workers ooohing and aaahhinnng...thank you for a great creation! Oh and my first attempt at cables (whatever was I afraid of!?) Thanks for that learning curve too!
Question...any thoughts on how to adapt this to make the matching hat? Too much to ask maybe?
Hope New Year of the Dragon treats you well!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I’m new to cable knitting and I was wondering if you could tell me what I’m supposed to do in rows 4 and 6. Thank you in advance!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Wardfamily2 said...

Do the same as row 2.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This is beautiful. My friend this pattern should be for sale. You have done an amazing job designing this pattern please don't give it away.

12:44 PM  
Blogger graphics333 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Row 8 is rep2=row 2? Just wanted ti make sure.

5:04 PM  
Blogger xxlmiv said...

same I'm also confused. did you try it out?

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm left handed and haven't been able to find a good rule of thumb for converting cable patterns. It seems that some of them work both ways, while others you have to translate to mirror. Do you know if this can be done regularly, or do I need to work it backwards?

5:15 PM  
Blogger Bunny girl said...

Does this scarf curl on the sides?

7:25 PM  
Blogger Bunny girl said...

It is Beautiful

Bunny Girl!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the gorgeous pattern! I just knit my 1st cabled scarf as a gift, so am more confident using a cable needle now. I used too small of a cable needle for the size of knitting needles I'd used (US 10), so I'd recommend trying a couple different sizes of cable needles to see what works the best. I see that (even) rows 4, 6 & 8 are repeats of row 2 (all even rows are on the wrong side of the project). Will a size 4 worsted weight yarn be ok to use with your pattern? Thx!

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? You need to use filthy language "about knitting" wow.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home